Having all of your paperwork up to date and in one place will make it easier if a family member has to help you with financial and legal matters. Important documents might include:
- birth, marriage, divorce and citizenship certificates
- bank and credit card information
- investment details (e.g. shares, funds)
- Centrelink and Medicare details
- list of social media and other online accounts
- superannuation and insurance information
- loan details (e.g. house, car) and house title/lease documents
- document appointing a substitute decision-maker
- advance care directive
- funeral information.
It’s a good idea to check or update who you’ve nominated as beneficiaries on your retirement plans and life insurance policies. Let someone close know how to contact your lawyer.