Campaign with Cancer Council
Everyone with cancer in NSW should receive the best possible cancer treatment and care but not everyone gets it.
Advocacy is key to achieving our vision of a cancer-free future for everyone in NSW. At times government policies and services do not reflect the best available evidence or community need. That is why, as an organisation, Cancer Council NSW will continue to influence change in policy and practice by being an independent and trusted voice on cancer issues.
Our goal is to reduce the impact of cancer across NSW by influencing public policy, funding, and programs. We do this via three streams of work: Policy analysis and research, Government engagement, and Community advocacy.
Partnering with community
Cancer Council NSW partners with the community to be an independent and trusted voice on cancer issues through:
- CanAct Community: an online network of 25,000+ community members across NSW,
- Engaging with Members of Parliament to build understanding of the work we do and sharing cancer stories to inspire action on important cancer issues,
- CanAct Knowledge: equipping CanAct members with leadership and advocacy skills through our online training platform,
- CANLocal: connecting grassroots change makers to advocate on campaigns and issues they are passionate about in their local communities,
- CanAct Media: fostering change through storytelling by sharing people’s cancer stories publicly to help others understand the impact of cancer, and
- CanAct FWD, testing forward (FWD), innovative approaches to advocacy that will build the capacity of community advocates to partner with health services and influence policy and practice.
Working alongside community we have successfully advocated for
An additional $100 million funding for palliative care
Chemotherapy co-payments for patients abolished
Improved sun protection for 600,000 children
More smoke-free areas than ever before
An extra $50 million funding for bowel cancer screening
The end of commercial solariums saving at least 10 lives per year
Making a difference
Join our community and receive regular campaign updates and opportunities to get involved – from easy actions like writing emails and attending events through to engaging with the media and perhaps meeting with your local Member of Parliament. Simple actions by individuals are what lead us to big wins in our communities.
Whether you are sharing your story, asking the NSW Government to join us or mobilising others – advocacy is one of the ways Cancer Council NSW is working towards our vision of a cancer free future.