Join the Tackling Tobacco program
Expressions of interest are open for organisations to be a part of our 2022/2023 Tackling Tobacco program. We’re looking for non-profit, community-based NGOs that want to make a difference and reduce smoking related-harms amongst their clients.
We can offer support, training and resources to your organisation to help make lasting, positive changes that will benefit the people you support. There is also the potential to receive funding to help deliver this program.
Tackling Tobacco is a step-by-step program that aims to reduce smoking related harm amongst priority populations in NSW that experience high levels of social and economic disadvantage.
Through Tackling Tobacco we help organisations address smoking and support people who access their services and their staff to quit.
What we offer
We offer draft policies, tools and advice to help you implement the program.
We train your teams so they can confidently implement Tackling Tobacco and make lasting change.
You will receive dedicated support from a Tackling Tobacco expert to help tailor the program to your organisations need.
While smoking rates have declined to 14.8% in the general population, the proportion of people who smoke in priority populations is significantly higher. Priority populations with high smoking rates include:
- People with low income or who are currently unemployed
- People experiencing homelessness
- People living with mental illness
- People in contact with the criminal justice system
- People with substance use disorders
- Aboriginal people
- people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and/or queer
- people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
We have worked with over 220 community services in the non-government, not for profit sector to achieve best practice tobacco policies and practices that support staff and people who access their services to quit. Some of these organisations include Mission Australia, Neami National, Salvation Army and Life Without Barriers. We also work with peak bodies such as the Mental Health Coordinating Council, Network of Alcohol and Other Drugs Agencies, and the Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Council on dissemination of best practice and sector-wide initiatives.
There are many reasons to tackle tobacco within your organisation. Addressing smoking provides real benefits to staff and people who access services.
Additionally, community services are well placed to address tobacco because you:
- Have existing connections with priority populations within NSW
- Are familiar and skilled in promoting positive behavioural change with people who access your service
- Have a commitment to the values of social justice, fairness and equity
- Have a commitment to improving the wellbeing and opportunities of people who access your service
We’re with you every step of the way.
Register your interest in Tackling Tobacco
To register your organisation’s interest in the Tackling Tobacco program, please complete the form below.