Tackling Tobacco is a step-by-step program that aims to reduce smoking related harm amongst the most socio-economically disadvantaged groups in NSW.
Through Tackling Tobacco we help community service organisations to address smoking, to give their clients the support they need to quit, and to de-normalise smoking in the community.
“It is actually possible to not be addicted”Trent, Triple Care Farm
Why disadvantaged communities?
Organisations that service disadvantaged communities are perfectly placed to make a positive change. While smoking rates in Australia have declined to around 16.4%, the percentage of those who smoke in disadvantaged groups is significantly higher1. Conditions associated with higher smoking rates:
- low income
- poor or unstable housing
- peers who smoke
- lone parenthood
1. Australian Bureau of Statistics (2013). ‘Tobacco Smoking’ in Profiles of Health, Australia, 2011-13 webpage.
Thus far, we have worked with over 149 community services to achieve improved smoking policies and practices that support staff and clients to quit smoking. Some of these organisations include Mission Australia, Schizophrenia Fellowship, Life without Barriers and Youth Solutions. We also work with peak bodies to ensure best practices that consider the service of your organisation, such as Mental Health Coordinating Council and Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Council.
Why your organisation?
- Have existing connections with disadvantaged population groups in NSW
- Are familiar and skilled in promoting positive behavioural change among your clients
- Have a commitment to the values of social justice, fairness and equality
- Have a commitment to improving the wellbeing and opportunities of clients
- Addressing smoking provides real benefits to clients.
We’re with you every step of the way
We offer draft policies, tools and advice to review your existing framework
We train your teams to show how to implement long lasting change along the way
As well as staff support, we have a financial grant available to organisations that qualify