Sun smart hats
A sun smart hat is a simple, effective way to protect your face, head, neck and ears from UV radiation. Your face is exposed to the damaging effects of UV radiation every day. The ears, temples, lips and nose are among the most common parts of the body for skin cancers to develop.
UV radiation can also cause permanent damage to your eyes and a sun smart hat can reduce the amount of UV radiation reaching your eyes by 50%. Remember, protecting your skin from UV radiation from the sun is the simplest way to reduce the risk of skin cancer.
When choosing a sun smart hat, make sure that your hat:
- Adequately shades the whole face.
- Is made of a close weave fabric that does not allow light to get through.
- Has a dark lining to reduce the amount of UV radiation being reflected onto the face and eyes.
- Does not obscure vision or pose a safety concern – Look for children’s hats where the cord pulls in at the crown or is attached with safety snaps that come easily away if the cord gets caught.
- Fits correctly so it doesn’t slide down or blow off.
- Is not a baseball cap.
Types of sun smart hats
Broad brimmed hat
Brims should be at around 6cm for children. The brim should be proportional to the size of the child’s head and provide shade for the whole face.
Bucket style hat
Bucket or surfer-style hats should have a deep crown and sit low on the head. The angled brim should be at least 5cm for children and shade the face, ears and back of neck.
Legionnaire-style hats should have a flap that covers the neck. The side flap and front peak (brim) should meet to protect the sides of the face.
Baseball caps and sun visors do not protect the cheeks, ears and back of the neck and are not recommended.
To see our range of sun smart hats available for purchase, visit our online store.