Who will coordinate my care?

In most cases, a GP or community nurse will coordinate your palliative care. If your care needs increase beyond their area of expertise, they will seek advice and support from a specialist palliative care service. It is likely that your GP or community nurse will continue to coordinate your care, and you may not need to see the specialist yourself.

Specialist palliative care services may coordinate the care of people with complex health needs, who will often see the palliative care specialist regularly as an outpatient. Sometimes people need to stay in hospital for short periods while the specialist adjusts their medicines or gets their pain under control, for instance.

The palliative care specialists will continue to consult your other doctors about your care and treatment. If your condition stabilises or improves, you may not need to see the palliative care specialists for periods of time or you may be discharged from palliative care.

It is important for your key family members or carers to be involved in any discussions about your treatment plan, especially if they are providing most of your day-to-day care.

      − Carla

This information was last reviewed in April 2017
View who reviewed this content
View our editorial policy

Support services

Coping with cancer?
Speak to a health professional or to someone who has been there, or find a support group or forum

Need legal and financial assistance?
Pro bono services, financial and legal assistance, and no interest loans

Looking for transport, accommodation or home help?
Practical advice and support during and after treatment

Cancer information

Key questions about advanced cancer
Answers to questions people may have when they are first told they have advanced cancer

End of life
Information for people who have been told that the end of life is near

View our publications
Guides and fact sheets for people with cancer, their families and friends