The drivers just took all the stress out of it for us. I couldn’t recommend them highly enough. I just think it’s one of the best things ever. Helen, daughter of a Transport to Treatment client
Community transport is a service for eligible seniors, pensioners, and those with accessibility needs or limited access to public transport.
The service can help people travel to medical appointments, shops and social activities.
Cancer Council NSW’s Transport to Treatment
Transport to Treatment is a free service for people who can’t access Community Transport Services or have other transport barriers.
Trips are made by trained volunteers using Cancer Council NSW vehicles.
Eligible patients can access Transport to Treatment through a referral from a healthcare professional.
Isolated Patient Transport and Accommodation Assistance Scheme
Eligible patients who need to travel far for treatment can receive financial assistance through the Isolated Patient Transport and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS).
The NSW Government scheme covers some of the transport and accommodation costs of travelling to treatment.
Your questions about transport
- have or have had an active diagnosis of cancer.
- use the service to access chemotherapy and radiation therapy treatment
- have an appointment directly related to their cancer
- live within the transport service catchment area
- not have access to a vehicle or unable to drive at present
- not have family or friends that can assist with transport
- not be able to access other Community Transport services
- be able to walk unassisted for at least 20 metres
- be in complete control of their own bodily functions (i.e. be able to toilet themselves unassisted)
- be able to wear a seatbelt fitted correctly
- not have an oxygen device they are required to use.
Healthcare professionals can refer their patients by filling a booking request form below. After submitting the form, we will send an email advising that we’ve received the request.
We’ll contact the patient or their nominated contact person to check availability, confirm and schedule their transport to treatment requirements.
Complete the form below to refer a patient.