Information to help you take action
NSW strata committees have the authority to ban smoking by introducing a smoke-free by-law.
Introducing a smoke-free by-law is the most effective way to eliminate the health, legal and financial risks associated with smoking in apartment complexes.
To help strata committees advocate for a smoke-free by-law, and to provide guidance on the development and implementation of a smoke-free by-law Cancer Council has developed the Achieving Smoke-free Apartments toolkit.
The toolkit summarises the health, financial and legal benefits of smoke-free apartment complexes, the steps that can be taken to achieve smoke-free living, and examples of what to include in a smoke-free by-law.
Download the full kit
- This information kit explains the benefits of smoke-free apartment living. It provides resources and ideas on how to introduce smoke-free by-laws in strata schemes. The aim of smoke-free by-laws is to create clean and healthy air in people’s shared living environment.
Download part of the kit
- Information on the purposes of this toolkit, a glossary of terms and links to further information (PDF 493KB)
- Fact sheet 1: Benefits of smoke-free apartment living; includes health, financial and legal benefits (PDF 313KB)
- Fact sheet 2, 3 and 4: Information on how to take action to stop smoke-penetration in apartments
- Factsheet 5: Smoke-free by-laws that support smoking bans in apartments (PDF 796KB)
- Factsheet 6: Useful advocacy skills for taking action (PDF 1.53MB)
To obtain a hard copy of the information kit contact Cancer Council Helpline 13 11 20 Information and Support.