As a carer, you’re part of the health care team. You can work with the team to ensure you understand, and are included in, decisions about the care and treatment of the person you care for.
Most cancer treatment centres now have multidisciplinary teams (MDTs) made up of specialist doctors, nurses, and allied health professionals such as physiotherapists, dietitians, social workers and psychologists.
The MDT will work together closely to manage the care of the person with cancer and recommend the best treatment. They may also refer the person to other specialists for aspects of their care
Learn more about:
- Understanding the multidisciplinary team
- Making the most of a doctor’s appointment
- Staying organised
- Managing medicines
- Applying for a PBS Safety Net card
- Monitoring symptoms and side effects
- Managing common symptoms and side effects