Secondary Schools and Sun Protection
Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world, with melanoma the most common cancer among young Australians (15–24-year olds).
Research has firmly established that adolescence and childhood are critical periods during which sun protection habits can significantly reduce the risk of skin cancer later in life. It is estimated that more than 75% of all skin cancers could be prevented by practising sun protection in childhood and adolescence.
Secondary schools are in a unique position to be able to increase awareness of sun protection across their school community and establish best-practice sun protection practices in their school.
UV policy guidance for secondary schools:
The most effective strategies that schools can implement to improve sun protection behaviours among students and staff.
Cancer Council NSW encourages secondary schools to consider which components of this guidance suit their needs and utilise the below information and resources to support sun protection across the whole school community.
These resources provide teachers activities for year 7-10 students to examine the issues related to young people and skin cancer. Linked with the Australian curriculum, these lessons introduce students to topics such as UV radiation, the dangers of tanning, attitudes towards sun protection and the communication of health messages.
Years 7 & 8
- UV adds up Download PDF303kB
- Marketing health messages Download PDF70kB
- Sid - success or flop Download PDF73kB
- Game On Download PDF101kB
- Solariums - get the full picture Download PDF74kB
- Marketing the messages Download PDF65kB
- How SunSmart is our beach culture? Download PDF98kB
- Think Pair Share Ink Download PDF265kB
Cancer Council Victoria Resources
- SunSmart and the Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion Download PDF83kB
- Poster - 5 Quick Steps Download PDF544kB
- Poster - B SunSmart Download PDF825kB
- Poster - Kit Up Download PDF863kB
- Poster - Melting Cap Download PDF220kB
- Poster - Raisin Awareness Download PDF246kB
- Poster - Unappealing Download PDF1.02MB
- Poster - Which Side Download PDF936kB
- Poster - Be SunSmart Download PDF351kB
- Poster - See Beyond the Tan Download PDF806kB
- SunSmart app – Download the SunSmart app to identify your daily local UV levels and sun protection times. When UV levels are forecast to reach 3 or higher, sun protection is recommended for all skin types.
- SunSmart resources – Download and print off relevant components of the SunSmart Hat Wearing Toolkit and additional sun protection resources.
- Generation SunSmart eLearning Module – Complete Generation SunSmart online learning modules to upskill about skin cancer, being SunSmart and how to incorporate sun protection into day-to-day activities.
- Shade Comparison Check – Use the shade comparison check to help determine if your school has adequate shade to protect students from an overexposure to the sun’s UV radiation.
- Applying sunscreen correctly video – educate staff and students how to apply sunscreen correctly by watching this video: