Managing financial issues

For self-employed people who do not have paid leave, taking time off for cancer treatment may mean being without income for several weeks or months, which can be difficult.

Consult a financial or business adviser – This professional can help you assess your financial position and come up with strategies about how to manage your situation. To find a business adviser in your area, see The Association of Financial Advisers also provides a ‘Find an adviser’ service.

Consult a financial counsellor – A financial counsellor can help if you are suffering financial hardship. To find a counsellor, see or contact the Rural Financial Counselling Service on 1800 686 175.

Look into claiming on other insurance policies – You may hold relevant policies, such as income protection insurance, trauma insurance or key person insurance.

Check your superannuation fund – Although self-employed people are not required by law to contribute to a superannuation fund, many people have retirement savings. Check if you have any insurance policies linked to the fund, such as disability benefits. Even if you have not contributed regularly to the fund, you may be able to claim on insurance policies.

Contact Centrelink – You may be eligible for benefits or pensions. There are different types of income support payments for people in financial hardship, including benefits for farmers. Call 132 717 or visit

This information was last reviewed in January 2017
View who reviewed this content
View our editorial policy

Support services

Coping with cancer?
Speak to a health professional or to someone who has been there, or find a support group or forum

Need legal and financial assistance?
Pro bono services, financial and legal assistance, and no interest loans

Cancer information

What is cancer?
How cancer starts and spreads

Dealing with the diagnosis
Common reactions to a cancer diagnosis and how to find hope

View our publications
Guides and fact sheets for people with cancer, their families and friends