Financial help for carers

Working carers often depend on their income to support their family and the person who is unwell. Centrelink provides benefits to reduce financial pressure. For example, the Carer Allowance is a tax-free fortnightly payment for people who are not paid caregivers. Employment doesn’t affect eligibility, as the allowance is not income or assets tested, however both the carer and the person receiving care have to meet other eligibility requirements.

Contact Centrelink on 132 717 or go to to check if you are eligible.

Seek professional help from a financial counsellor to set up a budget or speak to a social worker to see what assistance is available. You may be able to get early access to your superannuation fund if you are caring for a dependent, such as a child. Contact your fund for more details.

This information was last reviewed in January 2017
View who reviewed this content
View our editorial policy

Support services

Coping with cancer?
Speak to a health professional or to someone who has been there, or find a support group or forum

Need legal and financial assistance?
Pro bono services, financial and legal assistance, and no interest loans

Cancer information

What is cancer?
How cancer starts and spreads

Dealing with the diagnosis
Common reactions to a cancer diagnosis and how to find hope

View our publications
Guides and fact sheets for people with cancer, their families and friends