Support for carers

Carers sometimes need assistance to keep caring for the person who needs their help. Examples of support include counselling, community nurses, home help, and services that give you a break from caring (respite care).

Start by contacting Carers Australia, the national body representing carers in Australia. It works with the Carers Associations in each state and territory. Visit or call 1800 242 636 for more information and resources, including information on respite services and short-term counselling. Oncology social workers can also offer support and referral services to caregivers.

Contact the Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre to find out about community care services available in your local area on 1800 052 222, or visit to find a service.

Cancer Council offers support for carers through Cancer Council Online Community. You can also call Cancer Council 13 11 20 to talk about support groups and other support services, or to request a copy of our Caring for Someone with Cancer booklet, or download a digital copy from this page.

This information was last reviewed in January 2017
View who reviewed this content
View our editorial policy

Support services

Coping with cancer?
Speak to a health professional or to someone who has been there, or find a support group or forum

Need legal and financial assistance?
Pro bono services, financial and legal assistance, and no interest loans

Cancer information

What is cancer?
How cancer starts and spreads

Dealing with the diagnosis
Common reactions to a cancer diagnosis and how to find hope

View our publications
Guides and fact sheets for people with cancer, their families and friends