Your health care team for prostate cancer

 If your GP suspects you have prostate cancer, you may be referred to a urologist who can arrange further tests and advise you about your options.

After a diagnosis of prostate cancer, you will be cared for by a range of health professionals who specialise in different aspects of treatment. This is known as your multidisciplinary team (MDT). Your GP will usually continue to play a key role in your care throughout your treatment.

Different roles

The health professionals involved in your treatment will take a team-based approach and form a multidisciplinary team (MDT), and may include:

  • General practitioner (GP) – provides general health care and treatment, may also monitor PSA levels and administer treatment
  • Urologist – specialises in treating diseases of the urinary system and male reproductive system as well as performing prostate surgery and biopsies
  • Radiation oncologist – specialises in prescribing and coordinating the course of radiotherapy
  • Medical oncologist – specialises in treating cancer using drug treatments such as chemotherapy
  • Endocrinologist – specialises in hormones, body chemistry and bone density
  • Cancer care coordinator / prostate cancer specialist nurse (CNC) – supports patients throughout treatment and liaises with other care providers
  • Oncology nurses – administer treatments and support and assist you through all stages of your management and/or treatment
  • Continence nurses – specialise in helping you manage continence (urinary and bowel) issues
  • Urology care coordinator – supports patients who are experiencing bladder and bowel problems after cancer treatment
  • Exercise physiologist – assists people with medical conditions to exercise and improve their overall health, fitness, strength and energy levels
  • Sexual health physician or sex therapist – can help you and your partner with sexuality issues before and after treatment
  • Continence physiotherapist – provides exercises to help rehabilitate your pelvic floor muscles and improve continence
  • Social worker, psychologist and counsellor – advise you on support services, provide emotional support and help manage depression and anxiety
  • Occupational therapist – assists with physical rehabilitation and practical solutions for physical limitations
  • Dietitian – recommends an eating plan to follow while you’re in treatment and recovery
  • Palliative care specialist – specialises in pain and symptom control to maximise wellbeing and improve quality of life

This information was last reviewed in April 2016
View who reviewed this content
View our editorial policy

Support services

Coping with cancer?
Ask a health professional or someone who’s been there, or find a support group or forum

Need legal and financial assistance?
Practical advice and support during and after treatment

Looking for transport, accommodation or home help?
Practical advice and support during and after treatment

Cancer Information

Patient rights and responsibilities
What you can reasonably expect from your health care providers

View our publications
Guides and fact sheets for people with cancer, their families and friends