Marinating helps to tenderise, add flavour or change the taste of meat or tofu. The following marinades are enough for four serves of beef, pork, lamb, chicken or tofu. For best results:
- combine the marinade ingredients and whisk together before adding the meat or tofu
- marinate the meat or tofu in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight
- drain the marinade before cooking to prevent stewing and splattering
- cook the meat at a lower temperature than usual if the marinade contains honey or sugar – this will help stop the marinade
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp garlic
- ground black pepper
Honey mint marinade
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½–1 tsp minced chilli
- 1 tbsp mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp mustard (optional)
- 1 tsp vinegar
- squeeze lemon juice (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- ½ cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
Video: How to eat well after a cancer diagnosis
Podcast: Appetite Loss and Nausea
Download a PDF booklet on this topic.
Jacqueline Baker, Senior Oncology Dietitian, Chris O’Brien Lifehouse, NSW; Lauren Atkins, Advanced Accredited Practising Dietitian, OnCore Nutrition, VIC; Dr Tsien Fua, Head and Neck Radiation Oncology Specialist, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, VIC; Rosemerry Hodgkin, 13 11 20 Consultant, Cancer Council WA; Clare Hughes, Manager, Nutrition Unit, Cancer Council NSW; John Spurr, Consumer; Emma Vale, Senior Dietitian, GenesisCare, SA; David Wood, Consumer.
View the Cancer Council NSW editorial policy.
Coping with cancer?
Speak to a health professional or to someone who has been there, or find a support group or forum
Looking for transport, accommodation or home help?
Practical advice and support during and after treatment