Dr Carolyn Mazariego-Jones is early career cancer survivorship researcher who uses behavioural research and implementation science to understand and improve quality of life and psychosocial aspects of cancer care. Her recent research examined the long-term survivorship outcomes of men with prostate cancer compared to disease-free controls in the largest longitudinal cohort study in Australia, The Prostate Cancer Care and Outcomes Study. Her program of research focuses on the implementation and design of two major research projects looking to improve access to clinical trials for children with incurable brain cancers (ALIGN) and reconnecting childhood cancer patients to follow-up care, resources, and supportive communities (Re-Engage). Carolyn has taught postgraduate level courses for both the Masters of Global Health and Public Health at the University of Sydney with a focus in public health and cancer care. Carolyn has also recently been appointed as an Inaugural Clinical Oncology Society of Australia Survivorship Research Fellow to lead the implementation of patient reported outcome measures into clinical practice for cancer survivorship in Australia.
- PhD, University of Sydney
- Master of International Public Health, University of Sydney
- Bachelor of Health Science (Hons), University of Florida (USA)
Patel M, Juraskova I, Smith D, Taylor N, Schofield P, Mazariego CG, White A. Implementing Navigate in NSW: An implementation study of a decision-aid for men with prostate cancer. WSLHD-REN. $25,000 (12 months)
Honorary Research Fellow, School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine and Health, University of Sydney
Current student supervision
Carolyn is available to supervise postgraduate students enrolled at The University of Sydney.
Selected key publications
- Mazariego CG, Egger S, King MT, Juraskova I, Woo H, Berry M, Armstrong BK, Smith DP. Fifteen-year Quality of Life Outcomes in Men with Localised Prostate Cancer: A population-based Australian prospective study. BMJ 2020;371:m3503. https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m3503
- Mazariego CG, Juraskova I, Campbell R, Smith DP. Long-term Unmet Supportive Care Needs of Prostate Cancer Survivors: 15-year follow-up from the NSW Prostate Cancer Care and Outcomes Study. Supportive Care in Cancer 2020;doi: 10.1007/s00520-020-05389-x. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32179997/
- Laidsaar-Powell R, Konings S, Rankin N, Koczwara B, Kemp E, Mazariego C, Butow P. A meta-review of qualitative research on adult cancer survivors: current strengths and evidence gaps. J Cancer Surviv 2019;13:852-889.doi:10.1007/s11764-019-00803-8 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31745818/
- Liu YJ, Keane A, Simms KT, Lew JB, Shi JF, Mazariego C, Yuill S, Jeronimo J, Qiao YL, Canfell K. Development and application of a framework to estimate health care costs in China: The cervical cancer example. PLOS ONE 2019;14(10): e0222760. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0222760
- Keane A, Shi JF, Simms KT, Liu Y, Lew J, Mazariego C, Yuill S, Wu R, Liu Z, Zhao F, Jeronimo J, Canfell K, Qiao Y. Health economic evaluation of primary human papillomavirus screening in urban populations in China. Cancer Epidemiology 2021;70: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2020.101861