Appendix cancer and pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP)
If you’re affected by appendix cancer or pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP), you may have many questions about how it is diagnosed, treatment options, side effects and how to stay well. You can find trustworthy information about all aspects of your experience below.
Learn about these tumour types, what cause them, and who gets them.
Learn about the common symptoms of appendix cancer and PMP and when to see your doctor.
Find out about the tests for appendix cancer and PMP, how they are diagnosed and staged, and who will provide your care.
Learn about the main treatment options for appendix cancer and PMP, including surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Find out about the possible impacts of appendix cancer and PMP and their treatment, and how to manage these.
Learn about follow-up care, what happens if the cancer returns, and how to look after your physical and mental health.
- How far has the cancer spread? What stage of cancer do I have?
- Have you treated this type of cancer before?
- What are the treatment options for me? What do you recommend and why?
- How will you consult with other specialists for my treatment?
- How long will treatment take?
- Is it possible to have surgery to try to cure my cancer?
- If I can have surgery, which type will I need and why?
- Do you use HIPEC only during surgery, or do you use EPIC afterwards for several days?
- What type of rehabilitation will I need after my surgery? How long will recovery take?
- What are the possible risks and side effects of my treatment? How will these be managed?
- Is this treatment covered by Medicare/private insurance? Will there be extra expenses?
- Are there any complementary therapies that might help me?
If you are thinking of taking part in a clinical trial, here are some questions you could ask:
- What are the possible benefits and risks to me?
- What is being tested and why?
- How many people will be involved in this trial?