Dr Megan Smith
Megan’s research focuses on optimising and successfully implementing cervical cancer prevention, at the population level and in different population subgroups. She has contributed to a large number of reports to government, including several evaluations that have directly informed policy in Australia, New Zealand and England. She has an MPH and a PhD from the University of Sydney.
PhD, The University of Sydney
MPH, The University of Sydney
BE, The University of Sydney
- Optimising and Successfully Implementing Cervical Cancer Prevention Policies, Early Career Fellowship, NHMRC
- HPV Testing Modelling, Analysis and Review of NCSP Data (2016-2019), Project Grant, New Zealand Ministry of Health
- HPV and oropharyngeal cancer in Indigenous Australians, Project Grant, NHMRC
- Comparative modelling to inform cervical cancer control policies – CISNET Cervix, Program Grant, US National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Effectiveness and Cost-Effectiveness of HPV Vaccination and HPV-Based Cervical Cancer Screening Strategies in China, Project Grant, NHMRC
Smith M, Canfell K. Impact of the Australian National Cervical Screening Program in women of different ages. Med J Aust. 2016;205(8):359-64. doi: 10.5694/mja16.00289.
Lew JB*, Simms K,* Smith MA, Hall M, Kang YK, Xu X, Caruana M, Velentzis LS, Bessell T, Saville M, Hammond I and Canfell K. (*Joint first authors) Primary HPV testing versus cytology-based cervical screening in women in Australia vaccinated for HPV and unvaccinated: effectiveness and economic assessment for the National Cervical Screening Program. Lancet Public Health 2017; 2:e96-107. doi: 10.1016/S2468-2667(17)30007-5.
Smith M, Lew JB, Simms K, Canfell K. Impact of HPV sample self-collection for underscreened women in the renewed National Cervical Screening Program. MJA 2016; 204(5):194e1-e9. doi: 10.5694/mja15.00912.
Smith MA, Gertig D, Hall M, Simms K, Lew JB, Malloy M, Saville M, Canfell K. Transitioning from cytology-based screening to HPV-based screening at longer intervals: implications for resource use. BMC Health Serv Res. 2016;16(1):147. doi: 10.1186/s12913-016-1375-9.
Smith M, Liu B, McIntyre P, Menzies R, Dey A, Canfell K. Fall in genital warts diagnoses in the general and Indigenous Australian population following a national HPV vaccination program: analysis of routinely collected national hospital data. J Infect Dis 2015; 211(1):91-9. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jiu370.