Legal and Financial Planning Referral Services
We can help you if you or someone in your family has cancer, and you need legal or financial advice. Assistance is free for eligible clients.
To access this service please call 13 11 20.
The Legal Referral Service can help you with:
- Drafting your will
- Making a power of attorney
- Early access to superannuation
- Credit and debt issues
- Mortgage hardship
- Insurance claims and disputes
- Employment and discrimination issues
- Tenancy disputes
The Financial Planning Referral Service can help you with:
- Applying for Centrelink benefits
- Planning for retirement
- Superannuation and insurance
- Debt management
Cancer Council will connect you with a lawyer or financial planner who will help you. This may be at their office, or at your hospital or home. If you speak a language other than English, we can arrange an interpreter for you.
You need to pass a means test to qualify for free assistance. If you don't pass the means test, you can choose to have paid assistance.
Fact sheets about legal and financial issues
You may wish to download the following fact sheets, which provide information about common legal and financial issues:
- Superannuation and cancer (PDF, 303 KB)
- Dealing with debts (PDF, 344 KB)
- Help with bills (PDF, 344 KB)
- What happens to debts after death (PDF, 349 KB)
- Getting your affairs in order (PDF, 359 KB)
- Your role as executor (PDF, 393 KB)
- Understanding funerals (PDF, 414 KB)
- Employment and cancer (PDF, 379 KB)
- Compensation for work-related cancers (PDF, 399 KB)
- New insurance policies (PDF, 389 KB)
- Public housing (PDF, 401 KB)
- Family law (PDF, 395 KB)
- Immigration and cancer (PDF, 410 KB)
Click here for information about travel and accommodation subsidies (IPTAAS).
Can you help us?
If you are a lawyer or financial planner and you would like to help us, please contact the National Pro Bono Manager, Louisa Fitz-Gerald on (02) 9334 1790 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a law student in your penultimate year (or above) or you are looking to do your Practical Legal Training work experience placement, the Cancer Council Legal and Financial Planning Referral Service offers volunteer legal internships. Interns generally work 3-5 days per week and get hands-on experience in the delivery of legal and financial planning services to disadvantaged clients. Interested in applying? Click here for more details. You can also find out more about our services by reading our latest e-newsletter.
Want a speaker for your support group on legal and financial issues?
Cancer Council may be able to arrange a speaker to come to your support group or community group to talk about legal and financial issues. Contact the National Pro Bono Manager, Louisa Fitz-Gerald on (02) 9334 1790 or email email@example.com for more information.
If you are a referrer and would like to read more about our services, read our latest e-newsletter.