We can help you if you or someone in your family has cancer, and you need legal, financial, small business or workplace advice. Assistance is free for eligible clients.
To access this service please call 13 11 20.
The Legal Referral Service can help you with:
- Drafting your will
- Making a power of attorney
- Early access to superannuation
- Credit and debt issues
- Mortgage hardship
- Insurance claims and disputes
- Employment and discrimination issues
- Tenancy disputes.
The Financial Planning Referral Service can help you with:
- Applying for Centrelink benefits
- Planning for retirement
- Superannuation and insurance
- Debt management.
The Small Business Advisory Service can help you with:
- Managing your small business. Qualified accountants can advise on tax issues, appointing a caretaker, business debts, sale of the business and assets and other issues.
The Workplace Advisory Service can help you with:
- Managing workplace issues before, during and after treatment, including disclosing a diagnosis, managing expectations, coping with side effects at work, taking leave and managing discrimination, bullying and harassment
- Transitioning back into the workforce after a period off work for treatment, including reviewing CVs, role-playing interviews and connecting with recruitment services.
Cancer Council will connect you with a lawyer, financial planner, accountant or HR/recruitment professional who will help you. This may be at their office, or at your hospital or home. If you speak a language other than English, we can arrange an interpreter for you.
Advice is free for eligible clients. You will need to pass a means test in order to qualify for free assistance.
Fact sheets about legal and financial issues
You may wish to download the following fact sheets, which provide information about common legal and financial issues:
- Superannuation and cancer
- Dealing with debts
- Help with bills
- What happens to debts after death
- Getting your affairs in order
- Your role as executor
- Understanding funerals
- Employment and cancer
- Compensation for work-related cancers
- New insurance policies
- Public housing
- Family law
Click here for information about travel and accommodation subsidies (IPTAAS).
Can you help us?
If you are a lawyer, financial planner accountant or HR/recruitment professional and you would like to help us, please contact the Pro Bono Manager, Sarah Penman on (02) 9334 1845 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you are a law student in your penultimate year (or above) or you are looking to do your Practical Legal Training work experience placement, the Cancer Council Legal and Financial Planning Referral Service offers volunteer legal internships. Interns generally work 3-5 days per week and get hands-on experience in the delivery of legal and financial planning services to disadvantaged clients. Interested in applying? Contact Sarah Penman on 02 9334 1845 or at email@example.com.
You can also find out more about our services by reading our latest e-newsletter.
Want a speaker for your support group on legal and financial issues?
Cancer Council may be able to arrange a speaker to come to your support group or community group to talk about legal and financial issues. Contact the Pro Bono Manager, Sarah Penman on (02) 9334 1845 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you are a referrer and would like to read more about our services, read our latest e-newsletter. Previous issues can be found in the archive below.
Pro Bono Press e-newsletter archive