How we help cancer support groups
Cancer Council NSW is committed to ensuring that patients have access to high quality, community-based support groups.
Cancer Support Group Leader Program
We assist new and existing groups in many ways.
We will help you:
- start your own group, if there isn’t a group nearby – contact Annette Beattie on (02) 9334 1919 or email@example.com.
- identify the type of group that will best suit your interests and the needs of your local area
- give practical advice on how to start up and promote a support group
- link you with local health professionals and a Cancer Council regional office
- sending you information about starting a group, including Cancer Support Groups – A guide to setting up and maintaining a group and Cancer Support Group Leader Training Workshops
- The Fact Sheet: What we know about cancer support groups
Cancer Council NSW supports existing support groups by:
- promoting groups through 13 11 20 Cancer Information and Support
- providing Cancer Support Group Leader Training Workshops for group leaders
- providing information about cancer treatments and related issues
- providing support through the nearest Cancer Council regional office
- helping groups to apply for funding through councils, state and federal government and private organisations
- providing occasional group telephone supervision for support group leaders
- offering public liability insurance for support groups who meet in party premises (to enquire contact Annette Beattie on (02) 9334 1919 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancer Support Group Leader training workshops
Cancer Council NSW offers support, information, guidance and training to people involved in new or existing cancer support groups via the Cancer Support Group Leader Program.
Since 2004, more than 300 support group leaders have been trained during one of our training workshops.
The workshops are free of charge, involve group participation and last one day (9am to 5pm).
For more information about training workshops please contact Annette Beattie on (02) 9334 1919 or email@example.com.