About the SunSmart Program for Primary Schools
The free SunSmart Program supports primary schools to develop and implement a sun protection policy that minimises student and staff over-exposure to UV radiation, and reduces the risk of skin cancer.
As a SunSmart school you can be confident you are implementing an approved sun protection policy that meets the Department of Education and Communities’ Sun Safety for Students Guidelines.
2 in 3 NSW schools are already SunSmart- is your school?
Check your school’s membership here, or call us on (02) 9334 1761.
Having a SunSmart policy ensures schools are addressing key areas of sun protection:
- Scheduling outdoor activities outside of peak UV times
- Using shade
- Wearing sun-safe hats
- Wearing sun-safe clothing
- Using at least SPF30+ broad spectrum water resistant sunscreen
- Role modelling by teachers and staff
- Wearing sunglasses
- Teaching about sun protection
- Providing information to the school community
- Reviewing the sun protection policy every three years