You may find this checklist helpful when thinking about the questions you want to ask your health care team about getting a breast reconstruction. If you don’t understand the answers from the surgeon, it is okay to ask for clarification.
- Do you think I can have a reconstruction?
- When would you advise me to have the reconstruction?
- Which type of reconstruction do you recommend for me, and why?
- What are the possible problems with this type of reconstruction?
- How long will I have to wait to have the procedure?
- How long will I be in hospital and how long will my recovery be?
- How much will it cost? Am I covered by Medicare or my private health fund?
- How will the reconstructed breast look and feel?
- Do you have any photos of other women who have had this type of reconstruction?
- Can I talk to other women who have had a similar operation?
- Will the reconstruction hide any new problems? Do I still need regular mammograms?
- How can I get a second opinion?
|Breast Cancer Network Australia has a number of personal stories about breast reconstruction. Read them now.|