- Cancer Information
- Managing side effects
- Breast prostheses and reconstruction
- Breast reconstruction
- Question checklist
You may find this checklist helpful when thinking about the questions you want to ask your health care team about getting a breast reconstruction. If you don’t understand the answers from the surgeon, it is okay to ask for clarification.
- Do you think I can have a reconstruction?
- When would you advise me to have the reconstruction?
- Which type of reconstruction do you recommend for me, and why?
- What are the possible problems with this type of reconstruction?
- How long will I have to wait to have the procedure?
- How long will I be in hospital and how long will my recovery be?
- How much will it cost? Am I covered by Medicare or my private health fund?
- How will the reconstructed breast look and feel?
- Do you have any photos of other women who have had this type of reconstruction?
- Can I talk to other women who have had a similar operation?
- Will the reconstruction hide any new problems? Do I still need regular mammograms?
- How can I get a second opinion?
|Breast Cancer Network Australia has a number of personal stories about breast reconstruction. Read them now.|
A/Prof Elisabeth Elder, Specialist Breast Surgeon, Westmead Breast Cancer Institute and Clinical Associate Professor, University of Sydney, NSW; Jo Cockwill, Consumer;
Suzanne Elliott, Consumer; Bronwyn Flanagan, Breast Care Nurse, Brightways, Cabrini Hospital, VIC; Maina Gordon, Consumer; Gillian Horton, Owner and Corsetry Specialist, Colleen’s Post-Mastectomy Connection, ACT; Kerry Nash, Sales and Marketing Manager, Amoena Australia, NSW; A/Prof Kerry Sherman, Macquarie University and Westmead Breast Cancer Institute, NSW. We are grateful to Amoena Australia Pty Ltd for supplying the breast form images, which appear in this section. The breast reconstruction images have been reproduced with permission from Breast Cancer: Taking Control, breastcancertakingcontrol.com © Boycare Publishing 2010.
View the Cancer Council NSW editorial policy.
The information on this page is also available for download.