- Cancer Information
- Managing side effects
- Breast prostheses and reconstruction
- Breast prostheses
- Question checklist
You may find the following questions useful when considering wearing a breast prosthesis.
You can talk to your breast care nurse, a breast prosthesis fitter, Cancer Council 13 11 20, a volunteer from Cancer Council Connect, or members of a breast cancer support group.
Learn more about good questions to ask:
- Do I need to wear a breast prosthesis?
- What kind of prosthesis would work best for me? Is there something suitable after breast-conserving surgery?
- When can I start wearing a breast form?
- How will wearing or not wearing a prosthesis affect me if I have lymphoedema?
- What can I do if I find the breast form too heavy or I have other problems?
- How long might it take to get used to the prosthesis?
- Do I need to buy pocketed bras or can I wear regular ones?
- Is the bra comfortable when I take a deep breath?
- When I lean forward, is the bra sitting flat against my chest?
- Does the prosthesis feel secure in the bra?
- Does the prosthesis match my skin tone?
- Do I feel balanced? Does the surface of the bra look smooth?
- Can I see edges of the prosthesis sticking out of the top or sides of the bra? (If so, the bra/form isn’t the right fit.)
- Do I like how I look with the prosthesis in place?
- How long will the fitting take?
- Can I bring a support person to the fitting?
- If I don’t want to remove my bra, is it possible to be measured for a prosthesis and/or pocketed bra without doing so?
- Do you have a wide range of styles and colours?
- Can you order other styles if the ones in stock aren’t suitable?
- Is there a prosthesis that keeps me cool?
- If the prosthesis feels heavy, can I get a lighter breast form?
- What is the price range of the prostheses and bras you sell?
- Can I wear a prosthesis without wearing a pocketed bra?
- How do I care for the prosthesis?
- What can I do if the prosthesis I bought is not suitable?
- What happens if I puncture my prosthesis?
- What is the warranty period for the prosthesis?
- How long will my prosthesis last?
- What should I do if my breast size changes before I’m due for a replacement?
- Can I have a second copy of the receipt for my records?
A/Prof Elisabeth Elder, Specialist Breast Surgeon, Westmead Breast Cancer Institute and Clinical Associate Professor, University of Sydney, NSW; Jo Cockwill, Consumer;
Suzanne Elliott, Consumer; Bronwyn Flanagan, Breast Care Nurse, Brightways, Cabrini Hospital, VIC; Maina Gordon, Consumer; Gillian Horton, Owner and Corsetry Specialist, Colleen’s Post-Mastectomy Connection, ACT; Kerry Nash, Sales and Marketing Manager, Amoena Australia, NSW; A/Prof Kerry Sherman, Macquarie University and Westmead Breast Cancer Institute, NSW. We are grateful to Amoena Australia Pty Ltd for supplying the breast form images, which appear in this section. The breast reconstruction images have been reproduced with permission from Breast Cancer: Taking Control, breastcancertakingcontrol.com © Boycare Publishing 2010.
View the Cancer Council NSW editorial policy.
The information on this page is also available for download.