You may find the following questions useful when considering wearing a breast prosthesis.
You can talk to your breast care nurse, a breast prosthesis fitter, Cancer Council 13 11 20, a volunteer from Cancer Council Connect, or members of a breast cancer support group.
Learn more about good questions to ask:
Questions to ask the breast care nurse or fitter
- Do I need to wear a breast prosthesis?
- What kind of prosthesis would work best for me? Is there something suitable after breast-conserving surgery?
- When can I start wearing a breast form?
- How will wearing or not wearing a prosthesis affect me if I have lymphoedema?
- What can I do if I find the breast form too heavy or I have other problems?
- How long might it take to get used to the prosthesis?
- Do I need to buy pocketed bras or can I wear regular ones?
Questions to ask about the fit
- Is the bra comfortable when I take a deep breath?
- When I lean forward, is the bra sitting flat against my chest?
- Does the prosthesis feel secure in the bra?
- Does the prosthesis match my skin tone?
- Do I feel balanced? Does the surface of the bra look smooth?
- Can I see edges of the prosthesis sticking out of the top or sides of the bra? (If so, the bra/form isn’t the right fit.)
- Do I like how I look with the prosthesis in place?
Questions for the fitter
- How long will the fitting take?
- Can I bring a support person to the fitting?
- If I don’t want to remove my bra, is it possible to be measured for a prosthesis and/or pocketed bra without doing so?
- Do you have a wide range of styles and colours?
- Can you order other styles if the ones in stock aren’t suitable?
- Is there a prosthesis that keeps me cool?
- If the prosthesis feels heavy, can I get a lighter breast form?
- What is the price range of the prostheses and bras you sell?
- Can I wear a prosthesis without wearing a pocketed bra?
- How do I care for the prosthesis?
- What can I do if the prosthesis I bought is not suitable?
- What happens if I puncture my prosthesis?
- What is the warranty period for the prosthesis?
- How long will my prosthesis last?
- What should I do if my breast size changes before I’m due for a replacement?
- Can I have a second copy of the receipt for my records?