Asking your doctor or dietitian questions will help you manage nutrition issues associated with your cancer treatment. You may want to include some of the questions below in your own list.
Diet during treatment
- Will this cancer treatment affect what I can eat?
- Should I be on a special diet? Should I eat only organic foods?
- Should I avoid any particular food during treatment?
- What other changes to my diet can I expect?
- Should I take vitamin supplements?
- I’d like to try a special diet I’ve heard might help. Is it likely to cause any harm?
- How can I stay strong during treatment?
- Should I see a dentist?
- Can you refer me to a dietitian?
Symptoms and side effects
- Why am I losing/gaining weight?
- Why am I feeling sick?
- Why am I so tired?
- How can I reduce nausea? Will medicine help? When should I be taking anti-nausea medicine?
- What can I do about the mouth ulcers? How long will they take to heal?
- Why has my sense of taste or smell changed? Will it return to normal?
- Will these symptoms go away and, if so, when?
- Do I need to change my diet after treatment ends?
- Is there a diet that can help me stay cancer-free?
- How can I get my strength and fitness back?
- Can you refer me to a dietitian to help with ongoing side effects?
Jenelle Loeliger, Head of Nutrition and Speech Pathology Department, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, VIC; Rebecca Blower, Public Health Advisor, Cancer Prevention, Cancer Council Queensland, QLD; Julia Davenport, Consumer; Irene Deftereos, Senior Dietitian, Western Health, VIC; Lynda Menzies, A/Senior Dietitian – Cancer Care (APD), Sunshine Coast University Hospital, QLD; Caitriona Nienaber, 13 11 20 Consultant, Cancer Council WA; Janice Savage, Consumer.
View the Cancer Council NSW editorial policy.
Click below to download a PDF booklet on this topic.
Coping with cancer?
Speak to a health professional or to someone who has been there, or find a support group or forum
Need legal and financial assistance?
Pro bono services, financial and legal assistance, and no interest loans
Looking for transport, accommodation or home help?
Practical advice and support during and after treatment