Most types of complementary therapies are part of wider holistic health care systems. Holistic health care aims to treat a person as a whole, not just the disease and its symptoms.
In Australia, the main traditional holistic health care systems practised are naturopathy, traditional Chinese medicine, Ayurvedic medicine and homoeopathy. Their origins differ, but they share the following beliefs:
- The body needs to be balanced physically, emotionally and spiritually to be healthy.
- Ill health often has more than one cause.
- The body has a vital energy reflecting its level of health and wellbeing.
- The body can heal itself.
- Health care must be tailored to the individual.
Learn more about these health care systems: