We are facing unprecedented times, in Australia and across the world.
The current Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is continuing to cause disruption and unease. I’m saddened to see the effect the outbreak is having on our communities and, following the devastation caused by the bushfires, it is now more important than ever that we come together to support each other.
Every day, around 130 people in NSW are diagnosed with cancer and it’s thanks to you, our generous supporters, that we can continue to help them through these challenging times.
Cancer Council NSW’s response to COVID-19
The health and safety of our volunteers, staff, supporters and anyone impacted by cancer must come first, so we’ve taken some steps to reduce the impact of COVID-19 on our communities in line with current health advice:
- Information about cancer and COVID-19 is now available here. If you or a loved one are impacted by cancer and have questions or concerns, please call our 13 11 20 Information and Support line, where you can chat to our trained health professionals.
- All services which can be used remotely will run as normal, including the Cancer Council Online Community.
- We’ve made many of our face-to-face services virtual, including our Cancer Counselling program – these will now take place over phone or Skype.
- We’ve made the tough decision to postpone some of our services where we felt the risk to those involved was too high, including our Cancer Council Information Services and our ENRICHing Survivorship program.
- We’re working with our community teams to keep our Transport to Treatment services running across NSW.
- We are postponing all physical events in March and April, or creating virtual alternatives.
Please visit our website for more information about these changes, which we will review as the COVID-19 situation and corresponding health advice continues to develop. You can also connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
We hope you and your loved ones remain safe and in good health during these uncertain times. Now more than ever, we’re so grateful for the passion and dedication of our incredible supporters across NSW. Thank you for your commitment and the difference you make in supporting our work.
Jeff Mitchell | Chief Executive Officer