- Cancer information for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people
- Cancer information for the community
- Support services
- Telephone support groups
Telephone support groups
Telephone support groups offer support and information to adults affected by cancer, including patients, their families and carers.
Wherever you are in Australia, you can:
- talk with people who are in a similar situation
- share experiences and information
- give and receive support
- share practical tips, tools and strategies.
How do groups work?
- each group has 3-7 members and two qualified facilitators
- groups get together over the phone twice a month – each session lasts an hour
- participation is flexible – it’s okay to skip sessions when you need to
- it’s free and confidential.
|Advanced Cancer: For people whose cancer has moved from its original site||1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month||1.30-2.30pm|
|Advanced Breast Cancer: For people whose breast cancer has moved from its original site||2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month||1.30-2.30pm|
|Brain Tumour: For people diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour||1st and 3rd Monday of the month||1.30-2.30pm|
|Lung Cancer: This group is facilitated by Lung Foundation Australia
||Call 1800 654 301 (free call) for days and times|
|Multiple Myeloma||2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month||1.30-2.30pm|
|Pancreatic Cancer||1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month||2.30 – 3.30pm|
|Anal Cancer: A closed/private group for gay and bisexual men with a diagnosis of anal cancer||Six weekly sessions commencing 13 April 2016||5.00 – 6.00pm|
Groups for family and friends
|Carer: For people who are providing primary care for a family member, friend or loved one with a cancer diagnosis||2nd and 4th Monday of the month||1.30 – 2.30pm|
|Life After Loss:For people who’s loved one has died from a cancer-related illness. This is a ‘closed’ six-session format.||Fortnightly sessions held across specific dates||Early March 2016|
*All group times are in New South Wales time.
How do I join a group or find out more?
- Call Cancer Council 13 11 20
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org