For maximum protection from sunscreens, the instructions on the bottle should be followed very carefully, but even then sunscreen does not offer 100% protection from developing skin cancer. You should protect yourself in 5 ways:
- Slip on clothing that covers you shoulders, arms and legs;
- Slop on SPF30+ broad spectrum water-resistant sunscreen;
- Slap on a broad-brimmed hat;
- Seek shade whenever you can; and
- Slide on sunglasses that meet Australian Standard AS1067, as do all the sunglasses available at the Cancer Council NSW stores located throughout NSW.