Understanding ChemotherapyDownload this book (pdf, 1.05 mb)
Chemotherapy: questions for your medical team
You may find this checklist helpful when thinking about the questions you want to ask your doctor about your treatment. If your doctor gives you answers that you don't understand, ask for clarification.
- Why do I need chemotherapy?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of chemotherapy for me?
- How successful is chemotherapy for my type of cancer?
- Are there any other treatments I can have instead?
- How much does treatment cost?
- What drugs will I be receiving? How will they be given?
- How often will I receive this treatment? How long will I have treatment?
- Where will I have the chemotherapy? Can I have it close to where I live?
- What are the possible side effects of this treatment and what can I do to control them?
- Are there any complementary therapies that will help?
- How will I know if the treatment is working?
- Will chemotherapy affect my sex life and fertility?
- After treatment has finished, will I need check-ups?
- Who should I contact for information or if I have a problem during treatment? Who is my after-hours contact?