Why be physically active?
Physical activity helps to protect against bowel and breast cancer.
There are many benefits to being active besides the possible protection from cancer recurrence. Exercise can also boost your energy levels, decrease fatigue, relieve stress, reduce heart disease and lower anxiety and depression.
If you are unsure about whether you are well enough to exercise or if it will interfere with your treatment, talk to your doctor first.
Physical activity should be started slowly and increased gradually. Each cancer survivor is different and the amount and type of activities will vary.
Ideas to be as active as you can
- Walking is great exercise. You do not have to join a gym to be more active
- Walk with a friend or join a walking group
- Take a dancing class
- Do some simple stretching exercises while watching television
- Take the stairs, not the lift
- Get off the bus/train one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way
- Park further away from your destination and walk the rest of the way
- Do vigorous housework like vacuuming or mowing the lawn
- Get out and do some gardening
- Take the children or the grandchildren to the park.